Skip to main content
You are not a member of this wiki.
Global Educators Cohort Program - Teacher Education
Click here for Site Map
Jump to Main Content
Pages and Files
Dates & Contacts
Option 1 Rubric
Option 2 Rubric
Rev. Format Rubric
Rubrics for Committee Pieces
TechInfo & Help
Comps committee chair(s)
1. What are the
given to us about the writing - related to length of response, formatting, expectations regarding bibliography and citations, etc.?
2. We have a list of sample questions, but is it expected that certain types of questions will be included? For example, is it typical to have one policy question, one related to teacher education, etc. - or is this different each year?
There has been a general convention that Day 1 questions come from the domain of TE901 (history, policy, and sociology) and Day 2 questions come from TE902 (teaching and teacher education). But this is only an approximate separation.
3. Is there a specific timetable/schedule/deadline for the third question - the one designed by the program committee? Or is this at the discretion of each student's guidance committee?
The Guidance Committee sets the schedule for the committee piece. Typically, students start the 10-day committee portion shortly after the two department exams are completed. The question should be related to: 1.)a topic which you know well and 2.) it should be a motivating - something to carry forward to your dissertation. Crafting the question will be something that you will be working on with your guidance committee. Typically, the work on crafting the third question is started at the beginning of the semester in which you take comps.
The product of the 10 day paper - could be a literature review, this is something that the guidance committee decides in consultation with the student.
4. What would you say are the most common errors made in answering the Option 1 exam questions?
The most common error by far is that the essay does not address the question, or it addresses only part of the question. For that reason, it is wise to take time (maybe 30 minutes) to read and study the question itself. In many cases, the question will tell you exactly how to organize your response. Read the question very carefully and be sure you understand what it is asking.
The second most common error is that the essay comes across as a sales pitch rather than an analysis. That is, the essay makes a strong case for one perspective, but it does not include any alternate points of view.
5. How does one go about framing the committee question?
6. How are the comps assessed and
how are they scored
? What are the procedures in place for deciding a pass, pass with edits or failure?
7. What are some successful strategies for attacking particular types of questions in a short time period?
8. One student asked for some help approaching this question in particular:
A task often required of researchers (and certainly of doctoral students as
they write their dissertations) is an examination of a certain body of
literature. Your task here is to examine the reading list for these
comprehensive examinations as a body of literature. The URL for the reading
list is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What is missing from this list? What should be there and why? Perhaps there
are specific articles missing, or perhaps there are entire topics or bodies
of literature that are missing. If you nominate a topic or body of
literature, give some examples of readings that illustrate this area.
On the other side, a reading list such as this one cannot be overly large.
If you add something to it, you must also remove something from it. Explain
your reasoning for both additions and deletions.
Be sure to justify your response. Explain the importance of the missing
components and the relative lack of importance of the things you propose to
remove. Articulate the bases for your argument.
9. What are some the most common psychological stresses that people face while taking each phase of the test?
help on how to format text
MSU College of Education
Report Web Accessibility Issues
Turn off "Getting Started"